6 Tips To Take the Stress Out of Moving
At Wm. O’Brien Self Storage we know how stressful moving house can be. It’s exhausting and frustrating, and often very emotional. With a bit of pre-planning and our few practical tips, you can help to control the chaos and take the stress out of moving.
- Ask for Help - Sometimes it's difficult to ask for help. But remember, most people have been through at least one move in their lives and understand how hard it can be. Reach out. Ask friends and family if they can spare a couple of hours to help you sort, pack or move. If you're moving far away, this could be one of the last opportunities you have to spend time together. Moving can get stressful and over whelming, so a little bit of company is good. It’s also great to have a second pair of hands to find the kettle or wine bottle opener you packed so carefully!
- Pre-plan the move – Think about timings. Do you need an interim solution for your items? Do you need a removals company? Could you hire a van to do everything in one or two runs? What can’t you move? Would it help to put items in storage for a few weeks, or longer?
- Declutter – While you may not have been living your life to the level of Marie Kondo’s style of unclutteredness, this is the perfect opportunity to do some decluttering and clear out unwanted items. Charity shops will be delighted to take your once loved items.
- Create an inventory – Make a check list of the items you are boxing, i.e. kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc. If you have important items to be stored, then keep a list of which specific box they can be found in. Create an inventory list of items that can be stored and not touched again until you are unboxing so they can be either stored at the back of a room or boxed up first and you don’t have to think of them again until you have the time and space to unpack them.
- Give yourself more time - Start earlier than you think you need to. People always underestimate the time it takes to pack up. Things can go wrong and timelines can speed up.
- Get some rest! Make sure you try to get a good night sleep the night before the big move! It’s going to be a very long day, so you need to be on top of your game. And remember keep breathing. The end is almost in sight!
If you are moving and need somewhere to store your belongings, either for just a week or two, or longer, why don’t you get in contact with one of storage experts
Contact Us Today
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 1800 747475